3 Chords exists to help refugee teenagers share their stories through original songs.
The organization's main goals are to help refugee youth:
- Express themselves through original songs
- Learn how to write lyrics and melodies
- Learn how to play a musical instrument
- Hone English language and writing skills
- Gain experience recording songs in a recording studio
- Share their songs and stories with the world
- Build community within their group of peers and among the greater Nashville community
- Develop a lifelong love of songwriting and music making as a means of self-expression
We believe that the process of writing original songs has the power to help refugee youth express themselves, process the events of their lives, and channel the emotions they feel.
We believe that the process of sharing original music with others has the ability 1) to help these young people tell their stories to the Nashville community and broader world and 2) to help natives develop more compassion and understanding for refugees new to America.
We believe that music has the power to heal, and we hope to afford every young refugee the opportunity to express him/herself and be heard by the community.
Finally, we fundamentally believe that it is our duty as human beings to encourage and build up one another, serve our neighbors, and love people without reserve. Music is simply our chosen avenue for doing these things.